Saturday, July 9, 2011

I DON'T NEED YOU ANY MORE. . . .

There is a trend in our post-modern society that breaks my heart.  I am excited that we live in a time where people question what was and has been.  I am excited that this has led to a rise in creativity and people hungry for truth.  However, I have noticed a trend, even among "Christians," and that is to try and create their own truth.  You can call it values clarification (whats right for you may not be right for me) or situational ethics.  Whatever you call it, people are falling into error.  It's as if we have become so proud as to believe our opinion is ultimately the truth.

When I was youth pastoring a parent came into my office in tears because her "Christian" daughter had been experimenting with drugs.  When her mom confronted her she tried reasoning with the Bible.  To which the daughter replied, "That is what you believe."

I was upset over this.  I hear this kind of thing to often.  In fact the decisions that some people make often makes the same statement.   That next week in youth group I used an example of a board game.  The players of the game don't create the rules.  The creator of the game creates the rules.

Here is the first mistake we make.  God IS NOT LIKE US.  We do not have the right to create a God in our image.  That is called idolatry. 

 Ps. 50:16-21 "But to the wicked person, God says:  “What right have you to recite my laws
   or take my covenant on your lips? 17 You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you.
18 When you see a thief, you join with him; you throw in your lot with adulterers.
19 You use your mouth for evil and harness your tongue to deceit. 20 You sit and testify against your brother and slander your own mother’s son. 21 When you did these things and I kept silent,
   you thought I was exactly like you."

Romans 1:21-23 "What happened was this: People knew God perfectly well, but when they didn't treat him like God, refusing to worship him, they trivialized themselves into silliness and confusion so that there was neither sense nor direction left in their lives. They pretended to know it all, but were illiterate regarding life. They traded the glory of God who holds the whole world in his hands for cheap figurines you can buy at any roadside stand."

The second real mistake is a lack of believing that God's word is truth.  Either it is and we had better know it well enough to live by it, or why waste our time.  If you are one of those who don't believe God's word is truth ~ Then you better make sure you're right, because this is one area you can't afford to be wrong.

Jesus brought us Grace and Truth:

John 1:17 "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

God's Word is truth:

John 17:17 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."



David said, "I have hidden your word in my heart    that I might not sin against you." ~ Ps. 119:11

Jeremiah 15:16 " When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, LORD God Almighty."

2 Timothy 2:15 " Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

The Bible tells stories of what happens when each person does "what's right in there own eyes."  It never turns out well.  There is truth ~  Be one of those that is fed up with mans religious traditions, but more importantly be one of those that is hungry for the truth of God's Word.  The Bible calls the quest for real "truth" noble.  (Acts 17:11)  It's a quest that will change you're life forever. . . And it's good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment